Jerusalem Cherry Is Poisonous To Pets
Solanum pseudocapsicum (Jerusalem-cherry) indoor ornamental plant grown for its colorful berries. This plant contains numerous chemical to include solanocapsine, aramines, phentamines, dopamine, fluoxotine and amphetamines derivatives. Most of the research into this plants toxicity has revolved around solanocapsine, a chemical compound that is related to solanine. While research and experiments have shown that it is possible for this chemical to cause death, it is unlikely because oral absorption of the toxin is minimal. In laboratory experiments involving cats and rodents, the ingestion of a moderate amount of both leaves and berries did not cause severe or life threatening symptoms.
Even though all parts of the Jerusalem Cherry are toxic with the highest toxicity being found in the berries, it is also non palatable as the leaves and berries produce irritant effect on the mouth and throat. So only in rare cases will an animal consume enough to cause a potentially lethal poisoning situation. The pets at highest risk are those that tend to be curious or bore easily and will either chew or ingest the Jerusalem Cherry for the sake of curiosity or out of pure boredom. When ingested problems of the gastrointestinal tract (vomiting, abdominal pain, inappetence, and diarrhea which may become bloody) and the central nervous system (depression, loss of coordination, weakness, paralysis of the rear legs, collapse, difficulty breathing, convulsions and death) may be noted.
In cases involving the ingestion of Jerusalem Cherry the prognosis is good. Vomiting should be induced with 3% hydrogen peroxide and if a larger amount was consumed gastric lavage should be performed, followed by the administration of activated medical charcoal. In the event that a large quantity of the plant was consumed, it is essential that you seek veterinary care immediately, since emergency medical procedures may need to be undertaken. Treatment for ingestion of plants containing solanine is going to be symptomatic and supportive until the clinical signs wear off; generally in a day or two, in some cases longer. Death is rare due to the fact that animals will rarely ingest a fatal quantity due to the non palatability of the plant. In cases of severe vomiting and diarrhea, iv fluids may be required to keep the pet from dehydrating and to maintain electrolyte balance
LIKE THIS?, SHARE IT!!!!!