Poison Plants For Pet Symbol

Shopping cart

There are no products in your shopping cart.

0 Items $0.00

starting your own dog daycare

Proud Partners With

Magazine

Asparagus Fern Is Poisonous To Pets




Plant Name: 
Asparagus Fern
Scientific Name: 
Asparagus densiflorus cv sprengeri
Family: 
Liliaceae
Toxins: 
Saponic glycosides (saponins)
Poisoning Symptoms: 
Vomiting, Diarrhea, abdominal pain, Berries are more toxic than the foliage with symptoms being more severe. Contact Dermatitis and allergic skin reactions are tend to occur with repeated exposure to the skin.
Additional Information: 
A common indoor houseplant, ferns can be considered toxic when ingested or cause minor skin irritation in pets with sensitive skin. The jury is still out as to the specific toxic principle or the specific lethality based on the level of toxin present in the plants. The symptoms will generally consist of vomiting, diarrhea, allergic reactions to the mouth or throat, the berries seem to be more toxic than the foliage. The intensity of the reaction or illness tends to depend on the size and overall health and durability of the animal ingesting it. Puppy’s will suffer more severely than adult dogs, possibly needing emergency veterinary care and showing a blood chemistry profile with elevated Alanine transaminase or ALT a transaminase enzyme associated with the liver problems. In any case Consult A Veterinarian.
First Aid: 
Prevent further ingestion of the plant. Treatment is largely symptomatic with pets generally making a full recovery in 24 to 48 hours. Consult A Veterinarian.
Species Affected: 
Toxic To Dogs
Toxic To Cats
Your rating: None Average: 3.5 (6 votes)

LIKE THIS?, SHARE IT!!!!!


Asparagus Fern Is Poisonous To Pets - Written By
3.5 stars - 6 reviews