Turn Your Passion Into Profit

Dog Poisoning Symptoms and Treatment




How to identify and Treat Dog Poisonings

 

Poisoning cases in dogs require an accurate assessment and rapid effective treatment to prevent fatalities. The first step in treating a dog poisoning case is to be sure that there has actually been a poisoning. You need to be able to recognize the signs and the symptoms, which can be very difficult as symptoms will vary from animal to animal and from poison to poison. You need to be accurate in your initial assessment of the situation as treatment based on an inaccurate assessment will increase the likelihood of death. You need to know almost instinctively what steps to perform based upon the situation, as there will be precious little time available while a dog is convulsing on your floor. By the time you call the vet or try and Google the situation and research the problem there won’t be a problem anymore- only a dead dog.

 

 

Dog Poisoning Symptoms


Signs that a dog may have been poisoned are most often drooling, vomiting, fatigue, convulsions, lethargy, and loss of coordination. Although there are a great many things that can make a dog become sick, this combination of multiple symptoms in an otherwise healthy animal with no pre-existing medical conditions is symptomatic of poisoning.

 

The majority of poisoning cases will fall into one of two categories, ingestion of corrosives or ingestion of non-corrosives. For the purpose of providing you with a set of guidelines to follow, the following is the basic first aid for each.

 

    • Corrosives- do not induce vomiting; give some oil orally, Seek Veterinary Attention.

    • Non-corrosives- induce vomiting and use activated charcoal slurry, Seek Veterinary Attention.


In either instance, perform basic first aid by checking the airway, breathing and circulation. Although some poisons may have no antidote the sooner that it is removed, the less effect it will have, and less irreparable damage it may cause.

 


How to Induce Vomiting

 

    • Syrup of ipecac -1/4 to 1 teaspoon per dose but no more than 2 doses. Given with a large syringe, turkey baster or bulb syringe  directly into the back of the throat. Hold the snout closed until the dog swallows then release, if done correctly the dog should begin vomiting within minutes.

    • Hydrogen Peroxide 3% (standard)- Mix 1 part Peroxide to 1 part water, use a turkey baster as an applicator and give 1 teaspoon for every 10 pounds of body weight. The dog should begin to vomit within five minutes.

    • Activated CharcoalDO NOT GIVE CHARCOAL WITH SYRUP OF IPECAC- Available in capsule form and can be administered orally every four hours in two to several ounces of water.

    • Salt- One half to one teaspoon of salt, placed at the back of the tongue.

 


Use the Following two links as an additional resource to determine the specific symptoms and first aid based upon what the dog may or may not have ingested.


Plants that are Poisonous For Dogs (Symptoms and Treatment)


House Hold Items that are Toxic For Dogs (Symptoms and Treatment)

 

 

 

 

Purchase the entire 217 page Dog Daycare Start Up Manual

 

(Instant download upon checkout)

 

$24.99

All products are available for instant download upon checkout

No products are shipped or otherwise available in hardcopy or paperback form

Your rating: None Average: 3 (1 vote)

LIKE THIS?, SHARE IT!!!!!


Rate this product
Stars- Rating- Reviews-